Equality and Diversity
Equality Statement and Objectives
We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims and they are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct under the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not
Little Lever School will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010) (race, disability, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief and sexual orientation.)
We aim to provide the highest possible standards of education for all of our students and. The ethos of our school reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of the Little Lever family.
We have set ourselves the following objectives:
- Train all members of staff and Trustees to ensure all are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the Trust’s responsibility.
- Continue to improve accessibility across the school for students, staff and visitors with disabilities, including access to specialist teaching areas.
- To promote cultural understanding and awareness and tolerance of different religious beliefs, LGBT communities and different ethnic groups within our community.
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement for all groups of students; especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups.
- Undertake an annual analysis of recruitment data and trends with regard to race, gender and disability and report on this to the pay sub committee of the Trust
For further information, please see the Equality and Diversity policy.
Consultation on Equality Policy and Objectives
The most recent policy was updated in April 2021. A consultation on this policy will take place in the summer term of 2021 and this process will be repeated annually by a staff committee group, a student committee group and our Parent Forum group which will reflect the diversity we see in our staff, student and community population. These groups will regularly review the Equality objectives and how effectively we are implementing the policy. The policy will be reviewed annually by the Trust.
The Equality and Diversity Policy is subject to consultation with the recognised trade unions on behalf of their members as and when it is reviewed or updated.